Going from a suggestion by a friend, I figure it’ll be a good idea to post monthly updates on what’s happening with the mead projects.
Still in primary:
- The light honey mead, from local Montana honey purchased at Costco. It’s still bubbling away, and I’ll probably put it in secondary next week. Happy with the way it tastes and with the SG.
Moved to secondary:
- Cyser- honey, apple cider, spices (nutmeg and cinnamon). It tastes great, but I honestly can’t taste the booze in it. That could be a very good thing or a very bad thing, depending. I went light on the spices, which turned out to be a good decision.
- Utah honey mead- turned into a gallon and 1/3, so I need to buy some marbles to raise the level in the second carboy.
- 1 gallon using the same honey I made the 5 gallon batch out of. So far, it’s very consistent in how it tastes.
- 1 gallon of coffee mead. Jury’s out on this one. I can taste a little coffee, but overall it’s very, very harsh. Going to leave it in secondary for a while.
- 1 gallon from honey a co-worker found at a local farmer’s market. Also a bit on the harsh side.
I’ve got plans to start two five gallon batches, so we have something to enjoy next summer. I also found some culinary lavender at Pike Place Market and am curious to see what that will do with a mead. Finally, the co-op had killer bee honey on sale, from Brazil. I’ll use that for just a plain mead. The honey’s got an interesting flavor that I don’t want to influence with spices.
So that’s what’s fermenting and in the works for this month. I’m hoping the cyser will be ready to drink around New Year’s. I’ll see how it goes.